Updates on Vivliostyle—Improved CLI and CSS Paged Media support
Vivliostyle’s recent significant updates include improved preview functionality in the Vivliostyle CLI and enhanced support for the CSS Paged Media specifications.
Vivliostyle CLI’s preview improved: Vivliostyle Viewer integration
Starting with Vivliostyle CLI v3.2, the preview feature has been replaced with a full-featured Vivliostyle Viewer instead of the classic simple previewer. The main improvements and benefits of this change are as follows:
- Improved usability, including spread view mode, page slider, and navigation through the table of contents panel
- The displayed location is now retained without returning to the first page when reloading by updating the manuscript file.
- User style sheets can now be specified to change the page layout when typesetting existing Web or EPUB content.
- No need to install Vivliostyle Viewer separately, or set up a local web server to use it
For information on how to install and use the Vivliostyle CLI, see the Vivliostyle CLI User Guide.
For detailed updates, see Vivliostyle CLI changelog.
Improved support for the CSS Paged Media specification
- Named strings / v2.4 (2020-12-28)
- for running headers and footers, retrieving text from elements such as headings in the document body.
- :nth() page selector / v2.5 (2021-02-26)
- for styling the Nth page in a document
- Named pages / v2.7 (2021-04-07)
- for styling pages by defining named page rule for each page type.
- :blank page selector / v2.8 (2021-04-16)
- for styling blank pages caused by spread breaks (forced page break with left or right specified).
For detailed updates, see Vivliostyle.js changelog.
“CSS Paged Media implementation in Vivliostyle.js”
“CSS Paged Media implementation in Vivliostyle.js” was presented at the online event Vivliostyle User/Dev Meetup 2021 Spring (Japanese) on April 10, 2021. Please see the slides: